The privacy of all borrowers of library materials shall be respected by Hazy Library staff. The Hazy Library staff will ensure that patron information from library records will not be revealed.
- The Hazy Library upholds Arizona State Public Law 41-1354 which states the library “shall not allow disclosure of any record or other information which identifies a user of library services as requesting or obtaining specific materials or services or as otherwise using the library.”
- The policy is in accord with the American Library Association Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records, which states that “circulation records and other records identifying the names of library users be confidential.”
- The policy is in accord with the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, Article III, which states that “we protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired, or transmitted.”
- Library staff will not reveal the names of individual borrowers nor reveal what materials are charged to any individual.
- Library staff will not make any inquiry into the purposes for which a patron requests information or materials.
- Library staff updates and maintains patron information records solely to keep track of library materials.
- Library staff shall not allow disclosure of any record or other information that identifies a user of library or multimedia center as requesting or obtaining specific materials or services or as otherwise using the library service.
- Under no circumstances shall the Library staff ever answer to a third party about what a patron of the library is reading or checking out from the library collection.
- The Library will not yield any information about its patrons or their records to any agency of government, whether local, state, or federal, unless written consent is given by the user, a court order for disclosure is received, or disclosure is required by law.
- Any inquires arising from government agencies are addressed and handled by the Director only.